NCT WISH - "Songbird" MV Review

Promotional picture for NCT Wish's music video of their newest song "Songbird." From left to right Ryo, Yushi, Riku, Sion, Sakuya and Jaehee pose in front of trees.
Photo source: SM Ent/NCT Wish X (Twitter) account.
 
"Songbird" is NCT Wish's second single and first comeback since their debut with "Wish" (Review) on February 28, 2024.
I was going to write about the Japanese release on June 25, but I forgot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, so I decided to write about the Korean version instead. 

"Songbird" Review


Like their debut song, "Songbird" also has that NCT quality in its sound, but I have to say that I slightly preferred "Wish."
I loved the strumming guitar throughout the song and I enjoyed the verses and chorus, but the song lost me a bit in the break with the "songbird, songbird" chant and a bit more during the bridge as I found the instrumental to be a bit too loud and that it drowns out the vocals. My favorite parts of the song were the pre-chorus sung by Sion at 1:20 -his voice sounds really smooth during that part- and the verse sung by Sakuya at 1:03 -every time I hear Sakuya's voice, it lowkey shocks me-. By the way, Riku's voice reminds me a tiny bit of Woohyuk of H.O.T. (?
The MV of the Korean version is not bad, but it was disappointing compared to the Japanese version that even had a storyline at the start. I like the colors used in the mechanic shop set -which only appears in the Japanese version a bit-; they complement each other very well. My favorite scenes in this MV are the ones where Ryo and Jaehee are at the "Songbird Express" office with paper birds flying around them (example 0:27).
Style-wise, as I love matching group outfits, I liked the two outfits that appear in this MV, but I prefer the all-grey outfits much more.

Gif from the music video for NCT Wish "Songbird" where Sion is holding candies in his hands the candy floats away and the members look forward as a lot of different colored candies floats around them

Rating

Song Quality - 7/10
MV Quality - 8/10
Choreography - 10/10
Style - 9/10

Overall Rating - 8.5/10

Gif from the music video for "Songbird" by NCT WISH where a paper bird sits on Ryo's shoulder

Song Credits "Songbird"

Release Date: June 25, 2024 (Japanese version) July 1, 2024 (Korean Version).

Length: 3 min 01 sec.

Writers: H.Toyasaki (Japanese version) and Kang Eun-Jeong (Korean version).

Composers: HONEY NOISE (THE HUB), Brown Panda (THE HUB), Jacob Aaron (THE HUB), Frankie Day (THE HUB).

Arranged by: HONEY NOISE (THE HUB) and Brown Panda (THE HUB).

Gif from the music video for "Songbird" by NCT WISH where the members are dancing. Riku extends his arm and the camera changes angles with his hand movement


   

*Credits taken from Kpop Fandom Wiki*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

My Favorite KDrama of All Time - The Moon Embracing the Sun (2012) Review