NCT's New Unit Debuts With "Wish" - MV Review

Promotional picture of korean boy group NCT new subunit NCT Wish. Members from left to right Ryo, Jae Hee, Yushi, Sion, Sakuya and Riku
Photo source: SM Ent.

NCT Wish is a Jpop boy group and the newest - and allegedly last - sub-unit from SM's massive boy group NCT. This sub-unit debuted on February 28, 2024, with their single also called "Wish" (which has a Japanese and Korean version) and consists of 6 members: Sion, Riku, Yushi, Jae Hee, Ryo and Sakuya.
Although NCT Wish is a Jpop band, I will be reviewing the Korean version of the song ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

"Wish" Review


When I first watched "Wish" MV, I was so mesmerized by the plot and the scenery of the video that when it ended I realized I hadn't been paying attention to the song at all. 
I like the intro beat of the song a lot, but I'm not a big fan of the "future's in my hands" chant that follows that beat, although I have to say is very NCT sounding. I can almost imagine Mark and Haechan's voices in that part of the song. I really like the pre-chorus at 1:39 and 2:46.
The MV is really good and feels very youthful, I loved it. The video follows a group of rookie cupids who, although they might not be the best at their job, keep trying to do their best, but one of the cupids falls in love with the girl they are trying to match (in his defense he met her first). The MV has a lot of hilarious scenes (like the one in the second gif of this post).
Style-wise, the outfits that Yushi and Ryo wear at the start of the MV reminds me so much of Peter Pan, especially Yushi. I really like their cupid uniform at 2:56 the winged hair bands that Ryo and Sakuya wear are super cute. They also wear similarly cute uniforms at 3:39, but this time only Yushi has a hair clip with wings. 

Gif from the music video "Wish" of boy group NCT Wish where the members look trough a shop window

Rating

Song Quality - 8/10
MV Quality - 10/10
Choreography - 10/10
Style - 9/10
Will I listen to the song again? - Probably

Overall Rating 9.5/10

Gif from the music video "Wish" of boy group NCT Wish where the members after failing to shoot a woman with their cupid arrows (that are actually bullets) look disappointed as the woman kisses a tree



Song Credits

Release Date: February 28, 2024.

Length: 3 min 05 sec.

Writers: Kenzie, jeanjinn jane. 

Composers: dress, Kenzie, Heon Seo, George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin.

Arrangers: dress, Kenzie. 

Producers: BoA.




*The song credits are taken from Kpop Fandom Wiki* 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

My Favorite KDrama of All Time - The Moon Embracing the Sun (2012) Review