Aespa Debuts in Japan with "Hot Mess" - MV Review (+ a super short "Sun and Moon" and "ZOOM ZOOM" review)

Concept picture for Aespa's Japanese debut "Hot Mess." From left to right Winter, Giselle, Karina and Ning Ning are in an airport. Karina is holding a handheld metal detector above the legs of an unseen person that is laying on the airport scanner. The handheld metal detector has "Hot Mess" written in pink
Photo source: SM Ent/Aespa's X (Twitter) account.

Ever since it was announced that Aespa would make their Japanese debut, I have been enthusiastically waiting, especially since "Supernova" (Review) and "Armageddon" (Review) were such hit songs for me -"Supernova" is a hit in my home-. 
Now, that day has arrived, and Aespa has made their Japanese debut with their single "Hot Mess," which also contains two more songs, "Sun and Moon" and "ZOOM ZOOM" ("ZOOM ZOOM" was released on October 6, 2023 as the ending theme for the anime Beyblade X).

"Hot Mess" Review

"Hot Mess" is super catchy and super Aespa-core; I'm so glad that Aespa has never disappointed me.
The instrumental is fun and has an interesting structure; I love the layered vocals during the "I'm the one~" part, and I live for that ænergy mention in the lyrics -I'm the biggest fan of Aespa terminology-. I have to say that my favorite part of the song is after the bridge, especially the vocal effect in Winter's high note after she sings "Baby I'm on fire~" her voice goes perfectly with the instrumental at the start of the last chorus.
I love the MV; it complements the song super well, especially the Purikura-esque editing -which is so over the top, lol-. I love the comeback of animated!Aespa(? (Previously seen in the "Savage" MV). The Gundam and magic girl vibes this MV has are immaculate.
Style-wise, I found the "normal" outfits to be fun and "messy" (they work great with the song). The Gundam-inspired outfits remind me so much of my favorite Jpop girl group, Momoiro Clover Z, in the music video for Otome Sensou (which were also inspired by Gundam). My favorite outfits from this MV are the black and pink ones that appear towards the end during the dance scenes.

Gif from the music video "Hot Mess" by Aespa

"Sun and Moon" Review

Concept picture for Aespa's Japanese debut "Hot Mess." From left to right Karina, Winter, Giselle and Ning Ning stand in front of a pink gas station window.
Photo source: SM Ent.

The reason why I decided also to review the other two songs of the single is because I loved all three, especially this one. All three songs are in Japanese/English but, "Sun and Moon" is the song that relies more heavily on the Japanese lyrics. Although "Sun and Moon" is the most "chill" of the three songs, it is still a fun song. The pre-chorus and the chorus hit just the right spot for me. My favorite part is the chorus after the bridge at 2:43, with the faded-out vocals and the instrumental shining through; it sounds magnificent. 10/10
     

"ZOOM ZOOM" Review

Concept picture for Aespa's Japanese debut "Hot Mess." From left to right Winter, Giselle, Ning Ning and Karina stand in an all pink gas station.
Photo source: SM Ent.

I heard a part of this song when it was released originally (as an OST), but for some reason, I forgot about it. "ZOOM ZOOM" has so much ænergy, I can imagine being great in a concert. I think the pre-chorus of this song is 🔥. I Love it. 10/10 -I did say that the reviews were going to be short.-   

Gif from the music video for "Hot Mess" by Aespa where Karina is holding a pink flip phone and says "Hot Mess" as the words appear behind her in different fonts.

Rating "Hot Mess"

Song Quality - 10/10
MV Quality - 10/10
Choreography - 10/10
Style - 10/10

Overall Rating - 10/10



Gif from the music video for "Hot Mess" by Aespa where Giselle throws a wrench and catches it in a different spot.

Song Credits "Hot Mess"

Release Date: July 3, 2024.

Length: 3 min 12 sec.

Writers: H.Toyozaki and Kenzie.

Composers: Moonshine, Moa "Cazzi Opeia" Carlebecker and Ellen Berg.

Arranged by: Kenzie and Moonshine.

Gif from the music video for "Hot Mess" by Aespa where Winter is singing in the parking camera of a car.

Song Credits "Sun and Moon"

Release Date: July 3, 2024.

Length: 3 min 19 sec.

Writers: Kanata Okajima, Jamil Kazmi, Soma Genda and ERECA.

Composers: Soma Genda, DIRTY ORANGE and ERECA.

Arranged by: DIRTY ORANGE and Soma Genda.
   

Gif from the music video for "Hot Mess" by Aespa where a truck crashes against a gas station behind of Ning Ning who is singing. afterwards she looks back with a hand in her mouth.

Song Credits "ZOOM ZOOM"

Release Date: July 3, 2024 (this is the official release).

Length: 3 min 12 sec.

Writers: Jamesy Minimal, Yui Mugino and Soma Genda.

Composers: Soma Genda, DIRTY ORANGE and Yui Mugino.

Arranged by: DIRTY ORANGE and Soma Genda.



*Credits taken from r/kpop*

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

My Favorite KDrama of All Time - The Moon Embracing the Sun (2012) Review