Red Velvet - "Cosmic" MV Review

Promotional picture for Red Velvet's music video "Cosmic." From left to right Joy, Yeri, Wendy, Irene and Seulgi stand in a semi-circle holding hands and looking towards the camera with their heads adorned with flower crowns
Photo source: SM Ent/Red Velvet X (Twitter) account

After releasing "Chill Kill" (Review) on November 2023, Red Velvet has made their newest comeback to celebrate their upcoming 10th anniversary (on August 1st) with their mini-album Cosmic -"Cosmic" also being the name of the lead single-.

"Cosmic" Review


"Cosmic" is, in my opinion, Red Velvet's best single since "Psycho" in 2019 -I did like "Chill Kill" when it was released, but now I can't remember how it goes off the top of my head (unlike other Red Velvet songs)- 
The beat of the song is super catchy, and the structure of the song is really nice. I have to say that the first time I listened to "Cosmic," I found the chorus to be a little bit underwhelming at the start (I thought that it was going to have more pizazz), but I liked the part that says, "I'm riding on your rhythm, through the solar system" and what comes after. Now that I have re-listened to the song many times, I have grown to love the chorus in its entirety.
The MV is truly beautiful and feels like a fairy tale. The video is inspired by the horror movie "Misommar" and the summer solstice festivities in the northern hemisphere -in the southern hemisphere, we (not everyone, of course) also celebrate St. John's Bonfires on the same day(? (even if it's super cold)-. The art at the start of the MV (and in some other parts) is really nice. My favorite scenes are the one with Yeri lying on the grass with moving flowers around her at 1:46, Seulgi singing while standing in a flower bath (I think?) at 1:54, and the one where the girls are sitting with table unnie and the personification of ReVeluvs(? with flowers covering their eyes and petals raining on them at 2:46.
Style-wise, I love the red outfits (example 2:24); they are the ones that caught my attention the most, especially Yeri's hood, which looks wonderful with her black hair and full bangs. The outfits the girls wear during the Maypole scene are my second favorites; they look very summery and remind me of the boho chic style from 00-10's, especially Seulgi's. 


Rating

Song Quality - 10/10
MV Quality - 10/10
Choreography - 10/10
Style - 9/10

Overall Rating - 10/10


Song Credits "Cosmic"

Release Date: June 24, 2024.

Length: 3 min 46 sec.

Writer: Kenzie.

Music by: Kenzie, Jonatan Gusmark, Ludvig Evers, Adrian McKinnon, Ellen Berg.

Arranged by: Moonshine and Kenzie







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

Ranking *all* of Girls' Generation (SNSD) solo debut songs.