SEVENTEEN: "Lalali" + "Spell" + "Cheers to Youth" - MV Review

Promotional picture for Seventeen compilation album "17 Right Here" above from left to right Jun, DK, Hoshi, S.Coups, Wonwoo, The8 and Mingyu and bellow from left to right Vernon, Seungkwan, Joshua, Woozi, Jeonghan and Dino stand in the outside of a colourful house
Photo source: Pledis/Namu Wiki

Recently, Seventeen made a comeback with their latest 17 is Right Here, which is a compilation album featuring 4 new songs. I have already reviewed the title track "MAESTRO" (Review). The other three songs are for their different teams, so I will also be reviewing those songs (albeit the reviews may be a bit shorter).
The reviews will be in the order of the music video release.   

Hip-Hop Team "Lalali" Review


"Lalali" has a really catchy beat, and it has made its way into my mind, especially Wonwoo's part and Vernon's first verse. Although I didn't enjoy the first part of the pre-chorus, the second part saves it as it makes the pre-chorus better.  
The MV is visually stunning -spoiler: they all are- although I didn't understand much of what was going on. I assume it was the Hip-Hop satirically showing us how cool they are. The parts of the MV with the human-shaped holes in the walls remind me of Junji Ito (IYKYK). The only thing I have left to add is that I live for mobster Wonwoo -he would make such a great actor (I hope...)-.

Rating - 9/10

Gif from the music video for Seventeen Hip-Hop sub-unit song "Lalali" where it the camara pans towards the members of the sub-unit


Performance Team "Spell" Review


I'm sorry to say that "Spell" left me a little disappointed. I was expecting the song to be a lot better, but it felt like it was missing something. The song, in a sense, feels "spiritual" (I don't have a better word for it) and calming like the ocean, but dissolves like sea foam into nothing (maybe it has to grow on me).
The MV is gorgeous, I love the scene where Hoshi is sitting with a butterfly flying around him at 0:31 and also the individual scenes after 3:08 . I loved the MV, and the metallic outfits are a work of art.

Rating - 7/10

Gif from the music video for Seventeen Performance sub-unit song "Spell" where it shows different shots from the members of the sub-unit


Vocal Team "Cheers to Youth" (청춘찬가) Review


If someone had told me that my favorite sub-unit song from this album was going to be the vocal sub-unit one, I simply would not have believed it. When I heard the first notes of the song, I thought it was going to be a sad song -look at that title- but I'm pleasantly surprised to announce that the song is really cheerful instrumentally (the lyrics are a bit sad [in my opinion]). The funky bass (I think it's a bass) at the end of the first verse at 0:37 reminds me of the start of the main theme of Friends - "I'll Be There for You" by the Rembrandts. Unlike "Spell" "Cheers to Youth" feels like a truly complete song. 
Although I think that all the MVs were very impressive, "Cheers to Youth" was the one that stood out the least of the 3. As a last comment, I think it was very nice of Hoshi to make a cameo at the end of the video, lol

Rating - 10/10

Gif from the music video for Seventeen Vocal sub-unit song "Cheers to Youth" where it shows the sub-unit members in a pier that has fireworks exploding while they happily wave sparklers



In general, I found all the songs to be really good, but as it always happens, opinions differ in taste :). 



Song Credits "Lalali"

Release Date: April 29, 2024 (Album) - May 9, 2024 (MV).

Length: 2 min 51 sec.

Writers: S.Coups, Wonwoo, Mingyu, Vernon, Woozi and Bumzu.

Composed by: Bumzu.

Arranged by: Bumzu.

MV Directed by: 725 (SL8IGHT VISUAL LAB).

Gif from the music video for Seventeen Hip-Hop sub-unit song "Lalali" where they sing together towards the camera while wearing fuzzy clothes

Gif from the music video for Seventeen Hip-Hop sub-unit song "Lalali" where Wonwoo dressed up as a mobster sits on a table and prepares to wrestle a thing made from metal


Song Credits "Spell"

Release Date: April 29, 2024 (Album) - May 16, 2024 (MV).

Length: 3 min 17 sec.

Writers: Woozi, Bumzu, The8 and Dino.

Composed by: Woozi and Bumzu.

Arranged by: Bumzu.

MV Directed by: 725 (SL8IGHT VISUAL LAB)

Gif from the music video for Seventeen Performance sub-unit song "Spell" where Dino stands in a room where the floor is full of sunflower and he smiles a butterflys fly around him

Gif from the music video for Seventeen Performance sub-unit song "Spell" where Hoshi is dressed up as an angel while sitting on the floor holding a light ball and a butterfly flies near him


Song Credits "Cheers to Youth" (청춘찬가)

Release Date: April 29, 2024 (Album) - May 23, 2024 (MV).

Length: 3 min 11 sec.

Writers: Woozi and Bumzu.

Composed by: Woozi and Bumzu.

Arranged by: Woozi, Bumzu and Ohway!

MV Directed by: 725 (SL8IGHT VISUAL LAB)

Gif from the music video for Seventeen Vocal sub-unit song "Cheers to Youth" where Seungkwan wakes up to discover his mobile phone has converted into a fish




*All song credits are taken from the Carat Fandom Wiki*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

My Favorite KDrama of All Time - The Moon Embracing the Sun (2012) Review