My Demon (2023) - Kdrama Review

 -May contain major spoilers-

Poster of the Kdrama "My Demon" with actors Song Kang and Kim Yoo-Jung staring at each other eyes
Photo source: SBS.

My Demon (마이 데몬) is a 16-episode SBS (or Netflix) fantasy rom-com starring Kim Yoo-Jung and Song Kang.

Summary

Jeong Gu-Won (Song Kang) is an arrogant demon who has been roaming the earth (South Korea to be more precise) for 200 years. He has powers that manifest thanks to a cross tattoo he has on his wrist and that he uses to make deals with humans (whom he hates and believes are beneath him) and take their souls to hell after 10 years. At day time he is the chairman of Sunwol Foundation which works on preserving traditional Korean culture. He works with his assistant Park Bok-Gyu (Heo Jung-Do) and Jin Ga-Young (Jo Hye-Joo), a traditional sword dancer known as "Star Jin" who is obsessed with Gu-Won.
Do Do-Hee (Kim Yoo-Jung) is the CEO of Mirae F&B (Food and Beverage), a subsidiary of Mirae Group, one of the top companies in Korea. She is known as "The Devil in Hermès" for her arrogant and nonchalant personality. She was orphaned when she was 11 but was quickly adopted by Joo Cheon-Sook (Kim Hae-Sook) the founder (and chairwoman) of Mirae group.
When Do-Hee's adoptive mother asks her to go on a blind date on her birthday, she meets Gu-Won and mistakes him for her blind date and they get off on the wrong foot.
When Do-Hee is kidnapped by a strange man, Gu-Won senses her desperation and goes to make a deal with her, but ends up saving her life and they both fall into the sea where Gu-Won's tattoo transfers to Do-Hee and he becomes powerless.
Gu-Won now has to protect Do-Hee (actually her wrist) from the people that want her dead and to do that he becomes her bodyguard and they get married by contract but start to fall in love... 

Gif from Kdrama "My Demon" where actors Song Kang and Kim Yoo-Jung stare at each other

Thoughts

My Demon is a cute and light-hearted Kdrama, but it has creepy moments. 
The cinematography is great SPOILER I really like how the scene where Gu-Won and Do-Hee dance tango was shot SPOILER ENDS and the CGI is good, but it has its bad moments.
Sadly towards the end, the plot dumbed down by a lot. I think My Demon could have been a lot better if it had fewer episodes (like Perfect Marriage Revenge [Review]). 
The acting is good, but I have to give props to Kim Seol-Jin. his performance is chilling I loved it. SPOILER I was quite disappointed he met an early demise SPOILER ENDS Another great performance is given by Kim Tae-Hoon, who plays Noh Seok-Min, son of Cheon-Sook and Do-Hee adoptive brother.
I read a lot of people complaining about Song Kang's acting and I mean it wasn't perfect, but is not that awful (I have seen a lot worse). In fact, I think he was good at doing the comedy bits (maybe I was blinded by his good looks).
I think that Kim Yoo-Jung and Song Kang have fantastic chemistry and make a believable couple and their outfits are always on point.
The OST is outstanding, in my opinion, it's the best soundtrack of 2023. My favorite songs from the OST are Our Night is More Beautiful Than Your Day by NewJeans, With You by Winter of Aespa and Whenever, Wherever by Roy Kim.
I recommend this Kdrama if you like to watch things with marriage contracts, supernatural elements and a very cute romance.

Rating 

Acting - 8/10
Plot - 7/10
Romance - 10/10
Soundtrack - 10/10
Cinematography - 10/10
CGI - 7.5/10

Overall Rating - 8/10

Extended Drama Info.

Quantity of Episodes: 16.

Run Time: 70min/each.

Release Date: November 24, 2023.

Network: SBS.

Directed by: Kim Jang-Han and Kwon Da-Som.

Written by: Choi Ah-Il.

Starring: Kim Yoo-Jung and Song Kang.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

My Favorite KDrama of All Time - The Moon Embracing the Sun (2012) Review