Ranking *all* of Girls' Generation (SNSD) solo debut songs.

 -I will not be counting SM Station songs-

Kpop girl group Girls' Generation members from left to right Yoona, Sooyoung, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Taeyeon, Sunny and Seohyun
Yoona, Sooyoung, Tiffany Hyoyeon, Yuri, Taeyeon, Sunny and Seohyun

Previously I ranked my top 5 SNSD dramas and now I'm ranking my favorite solo -official- debuts of all the Soshi members.  
I was debating on putting Jessica's solo debut, but as she debuted after leaving SNSD, I decided against it. As of 2023, Sunny is the only member who hasn't debuted solo 

7 - Yoona "To You" 


"To You" was released on May 13th, 2018 and Yoona herself wrote the lyrics.
Yoona's voice has improved a lot since her debut days, but this song doesn't really showcase how good her vocals are now.
When I listen to this song while watching the MV it reminds me so much of Studio Ghibli, but when I listen to the song by itself it's quite boring.
This song is great to listen to when you want to fall asleep or when you are traveling while watching some beautiful landscapes.

6- Sooyoung "Winter Breath"


Sooyoung debuted solo after leaving SM Ent. "Winter Breath" was released on December 20, 2018 and Sooyoung wrote the lyrics by herself.
Just like Yoona Sooyoung's voice has improved a lot since her debut days and this song proves it.
This song sounds like it would fit great in a winter drama OST.
The MV feels like I'm watching Sooyoung's home tapes and the VCR look gives a great winter feeling.
I think this song is great to listen to when you are feeling a little bit blue in winter.

5 - Taeyeon "I"


"I" was the first solo debut of a SNSD member and it happened on October 7, 2015. The song features rapper Verbal Jint and the lyrics were written by Taeyeon, Mafly and Verbal Jint.
I feel like some sort of heretic for what I'm about to write, but I didn't really like "I" to be honest. I find the chorus to be a little bit jarring, but the rest of the song makes up for it.
The MV is gorgeous and Taeyeon looks great in the scenes where she is a waitress.

4 - Seohyun "Don't Say No"


"Don't Say No" was released on January 17, 2017 and the lyrics were written by Kenzie.
This song reminds me a little bit of something Ariana Grande would do and it's pretty catchy. I really like the part at 2:09.
This MV has my favorite color palette and style I love Seohyun's looks especially the one at 1:16 with the hairstyle that kind of looks like victory rolls and the bejeweled shirt and skirt and the one at 2:46 with the giant black hat and matching dress.

3 - Hyoyeon "Wannabe" 


"Wannabe" was released on June 1, 2017, the song features rapper San E and the lyrics were written by San E, Kang Eun Jeong, JQ, DADA, Kim Jin Ju, Kim Hye Jeong.
When in 2016 SM announced Hyoyeon was debuting solo with the SM Station's song "Mystery", I didn't think how much I would end up liking Hyoyeon's solo career and I loved "Mystery" a lot.
Though "Wannabe" is not my favorite song from Hyoyeon (it's "Punk Right Now"), I like the chorus and San E's part.

2 - Yuri "Into You" 


"Into You" was released on October 4, 2018 and the lyrics were written by January 8th* (Jam Factory)
This song reminds me of the summer hits from late 2000/early 2010 and is very catchy. I swear I can imagine this song playing in the background of a TV travel show in my country.
The MV is really pretty and Yuri looks gorgeous throughout the video my favorite look is at 2:54.

1 - Tiffany's "I Just Wanna Dance"


"I Just Wanna Dance" was released on May 11, 2016 and the lyrics were written by Hwang Hyun.
This song has it all - a catchy hook, a great pace, Mariah Carey-like whistle notes, and a hard choreography. If someone had told me a month before May 2016 that Tiffany was going to debut solo with such a complex choreography, I simply wouldn't have believed it. The live performances of this song were also really good -as seen here- although they (obviously) removed the hard parts of the choreography.
The MV looks super good and my favorite shot is the one at 0:52 I like Tiffany's pigtail look especially at 2:31.




I Know Hyoyeon, Yuri and Yoona technically made their solo debuts at SM Station. I just didn't feel like SM Station songs really count :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

My Favorite KDrama of All Time - The Moon Embracing the Sun (2012) Review