Twice's Tzuyu makes solo debut with - "Run Away" MV Review (+ a short abouTZU review)

Concept photo for Tzuyu's first mini album, Aboutzu. In the picture, Tzuyu looks into the distance while holding onto stone handrailing.

Tzuyu is a member of JYP's girl group Twice. She debuted as a solo artist on September 6, 2024, with her mini album, abouTZU, with "Run Away" being the title track.

"Run Away"

Even though I'm not a fan of Twice, I have liked their songs "Cheer Up" and "TT" and I have listened to the solos by Nayeon and Jihyo, but honestly, they haven't been my cup of tea. However, when I heard Tzuyu's "Run Away," I loved it immediately. 
This song reminds me of "Nobody" by Wonder Girls (also made by JYP), and for some reason, it also reminds me a tiny bit of "Dancing Hero (Eat You Up)" by Oginome Yoko. "Run Away" is catchy and sounds good ﹘ I loved the instrumental track. Although I liked the song, the way Tzuyu sings during the intro and the chorus (at 1:28, for example) sounds a bit jarring to my ears.

The MV looks nice. My favorite parts of the music video are the scenes where the subway collapses at 1:31 (? and the scenes where Tzuyu is in a flower field towards the end. 
My only complaint is that in the scenes where Tzuyu is dancing, she looks like she is counting her steps. The music video would have been a lot better without the choreography (like JXW's "Last Night").

Style-wise, the outfits were good. The only look I didn't like in this music video was the turquoise halter-neck dress Tzuyu wears at the dance scenes during the first chorus; I found that dress ugly. 
My favorite outfits were the red dress Tzuyu wears while she is running and the lavender(? dress she wears in the flower field.

Rating

Song – 8.5/10
MV – 9/10
Choreography – 7/10
Style – 9/10

Overall Rating – 8/10

Gif from Tzuyu's music video for her song Run Away. In the gif, Tzuyu smiles at the camera as feathers fall around her.

"Run Away" Credits

Release Date: September 6, 2024.

Length: 3 min 18 sec.

Lyrics: JYP.

Music by: Andrea Rosario, Elsa Curran, Davin Kingston and Johnny Simpson.

Arranged by: Davin Kingston and Johnny Simpson.

MV Directed by: Yang Soon-Shik (YSS Studio). 

"Heartbreak in Heaven" Feat. BtoB Peniel

Concept photo for Tzuyu's mini album abouTZU. In the picture, Tzuyu stares at the camera, but slighthly sideways while wearing a turquoise halterneck dress.
Lenght: 3:33.
Lyrics: Tom Mann, Nicole Blair, Alex Stacey, Peter Rycroft and Peniel.
Music: Tom Mann, Nicole Blair, Alex Stacey, Peter Rycroft and Peniel.
Arrangement: Peter Rycroft.

"Hearbreak in Heaven" is not a bad song, but I found it a tad boring. Still, I liked the pre-chorus a lot and enjoyed the second verse. I don't like Peniel's verse at all.

Rating – 6.5/10

"Lazy Baby" Feat. pH-1

Concept photo for Tzuyu's mini album abouTZU. In the picture, Tzuyu is standing in front of water and looking straight into the camera while wearing a white dress. In the upper right corner the sun glimmers in the water creating a lens flare..
Lenght: 2:42.
Lyrics: Lee Yi-Jin and pH-1.
Music: Bobbi LaNea Taylor, Folayan Omi Kunerede, Mark Gozman, 
Shayon Daniels, Nicci Funicelli and pH-1.
Arrangement: Mark Gozman, Shayon Daniels, and Nicci Funicelli.

"Lazy Baby" is fantastic ﹘ I love it. The song is fun, the instrumental is great, Tzuyu sounds fantastic, and pH-1's verse fits the song like a glove. "Lazy Baby" should have been the title track...

Rating – 10/10

"Loosing Sleep"

Concept photo for Tzuyu's mini album abouTZU. In the picture, Tzuyu is sitting on the floor with an arm resting on a brown sofa that is behind her. She is wearing a turquoise halterneck dress.
Lenght: 2:39.
Lyrics: Moon Yeo-Leum (Jam Factory).
Music: Jonny Hockings, Maria Hazell and Tre Jean-Marie.
Arrangement: Tre Jean-Marie.

The beat of "Loosing Sleep" reminds me of the summer songs from the early 2010s. I was enjoying "Loosing Sleep" a lot until that helium-like bridge.

Rating – 7/10

"One Love"

Concept photo for Tzuyu's mini album abouTZU. In the picture, Tzuyu looks to her left while standing in the middle of the road in front of an archway. She is wearing a red dress.
Lenght: 3:13.
Lyrics: Lee Seu-Ran.
Music: Camille Purcell, Rick Parkhouse and George Tizzard.
Arrangement: Rick Parkhouse and George Tizzard.

I was thinking about how great and fun "One Love" is and how it goes hand in hand with "Lazy Baby" until the chorus, which gave me a big whiplash because it was so different from the rest of the song. Still, I love the verses and the pre-chorus a lot -the chorus did end up growing on me-

Rating – 9/10

"Fly"

Concept photo for Tzuyu's mini album abouTZU. In the picture, Tzuyu looks as if she was turning towards the camera. She has her hair in a ponytail and is wearing a black tank top with a brown silk scarf.
Lenght: 3:43.
Lyrics: Tzuyu.
Music: Daniel Lund Jørgensen, Katrine "Neya" Klith, Kim Woo-Sang and Kim Jun-Min.
Arrangement: Daniel Lund Jørgensen, Katrine "Neya" Klith, Kim Woo-Sang and Kim Jun-Min.

"Fly" is a good ballad and a great ending to abouTZU. The lyrics are really cute, and I love the instrumental, especially during the chorus.

Rating – 9/10

Final Thoughts

Tzuyu's solo debut truly surprised me; I thought that it was going to be meh, but I ended up enjoying abouTZU quite a lot.
I will forever insist that Tzuyu should have chosen "Lazy Baby" as the title track... 

Overall abouTZU Rating – 8/10


Photo source: JYP Ent.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was Moving the BEST Kdrama of 2023? - KDrama Review