NewJeans Debuts in Japan with "Supernatural" - MV Review

Promotional picture of NewJeans. From left to right at the top Hanni, Hyein, Minji and Haerin. Sitting below at the center is Danielle
Photo source: Ador/HYBE

Today, NewJeans has officially made their Japanese debut with their newest song, "Supernatural."
Less than a month ago, on May 24, NewJeans made their first comeback of 2024 with the song "How Sweet" (Review).
As the MV has two parts, I may edit this post with part two next week (unless the MV's are too similar).

"Supernatural" Review


Lately, NewJeans songs have been a hit or miss with me, so when "Right Now" -the b-side track of "Supernatural-" dropped first and I didn't like it very much, I tried not to get very disappointed and trust everything on the real lead single "Supernatural" actually being good and I'm that I did because the song is good (but not as good as "Ditto")
I have to say that "Supernatural" is my favorite summer release of NewJeans (I'm more of Winter!NewJeans kind of girl).
I really like the retro city pop vibes of this song, especially the vocals. I'm not the biggest fan of the instrumental, as I find it too much at the start when Danielle starts to sing (I like the intro), but it's not annoying and thankfully doesn't overshadow the song's vocals -I think it's going to grow on me in the future-. 
I love the color palette of the MV, I think that the purple/indigo lighting and the filter used in some scenes really enchances the retro vibes. I think that the idea of using a "bunnie" during some of the dance parts of the MV to replace Hyein (who is injured) was really nice. I like that Hyein gets a "storyline" through the video. I found the part where Haerin is riding a zebracorn (? a tad weird, and I don't think it fits with the video.
Style-wise, I like the group outfit (you can see it at 0:45); it really gives 90's vibes. My favorite outfits of the MV -aside from the group one- are the ones the girls wear at the airport and Minji's "I ❤ me" outfit, but with the white jacket. 


Rating

Song Quality - 9/10
MV Quality - 9/10
Choreography - 10/10
Style - 10/10

Overall Rating - 9.5/10


Song Credits "Supernatural"

Release Date: June 21, 2024.

Length: 3 min 11 sec.

Writers: Gigi, Minji, Pharrell Williams and Yiva Dimberg 

Composers: 250, Pharrell Williams and Yiva Dimberg.

Produced by: 250.

MV Directed by: Dongle Shin.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

My Favorite KDrama of All Time - The Moon Embracing the Sun (2012) Review