JEONGHAN X WONWOO - "Last Night (어젯밤)" MV Review

Promotional picture for Seventeen Jeonghan and Wonwoo first single album "This Man". On the left Jeonghan and on the right Wonwoo stand in front of some building models that are a bit taller than them. They are dressed a bit like vampires wearing white shirts with ruffles and collars and black jackets and pants. they are also wearing a bunch of necklaces (especially Jeonghan).
Photo source: Pledis

Jeonghan and Wonwoo are both members of Seventeen, and they have recently released their first single album, This Man, featuring the song "Last Night" as the lead single.

"Last Night" Review


When it was announced that Jeonghan and Wonwoo were going to have a sub-unit together, it took me by surprise because, in my head, they were one of the Seventeen duos least likely to happen -I mean, you could see that BSS was eventually going to happen from a mile away- but color me surprised as they fit very well together both vocally and aesthetically.
The song is fantastic, the Spanish guitar played by Park Joo-Won is marvelous, and the beat during the chorus is perfect. The softness of Jeonghan's voice and the deepness of Wonwoo's voice complement each other and they both blend well with the instrumental of the song.
The MV is beautiful, but I didn't understand it very much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  I did read that the concept of the album is "inspired by an urban legend that people worldwide encounter the same mysterious man in their dreams." In my defense, the first time I watched the MV, I did it without the closed captions and couldn't understand what the people were whispering at the start, so at first, I thought that both Jeonghan and Wonwoo were the "mysterious man" and at the end of the video they both found each other and Wonwoo won(? but, apparently, Jeonghan is fleeing from Wonwoo, who is, in fact, the mysterious man -I wish Wonwoo appeared in my dreams-. 
My favorite part of the MV is towards the end at 2:54, where Jeonghan and Wonwoo are rotoscoped(? On another note, the animated characters that appear throughout the MV are really cute. I think the style is called "Rubber Hose" (like the old-school animation or Cuphead). 
Style-wise, there is nothing that really "stands out," but all the outfits look great and are my style, so I will totally be giving that category a 10. I'm lowkey disappointed (jk) because I thought that there was going to be a scene with Jeonghan and Wonwoo wearing the blonde wigs from the promotional pictures -they both look great with those wigs, though-

Gif from the music video of "Last Night" by Jeonghan and Wonwoo where Jeonghan and Wonwoo meet on a rooftop. The scene is rotoscoped.

Rating

Song Quality - 10/10
MV Quality - 10/10
Style - 10/10

Overall Rating - 10/10

Gif from the music video of "Last Night" by Jeonghan and Wonwoo where Wonwoo walks on the streets at night while the lightbulbs behind him explode

Song Credits

Release Date: June 17, 2024.

Length: 2 min 57 sec.

Writers: Woozi and Bumzu.

Composers: Woozi and Bumzu.

Arranged by: Bumzu.

MV Directed by: HOBIN (aHOBINfilm)

Gif from the music video of "Last Night" by Jeonghan and Wonwoo where Jeonghan looks down sadly

Gif from the music video of "Last Night" by Jeonghan and Wonwoo where Wonwoo drinks boxed lemonade with a straw

Gif from the music video of "Last Night" by Jeonghan and Wonwoo where Jeonghan looks up and closes his eyes as the ceiling of the room he is at falls apart around him









If you are wondering what is the duet least likely to happen ~in my head~ the answer is Joshua and Jun


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Kdrama of the Year? Moving (2023) - KDrama Review

My Top 5 Girls' Generation (SNSD) Kdramas - 5 Short Kdrama Reviews

Ranking *all* of Girls' Generation (SNSD) solo debut songs.